Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Monday, May 09, 2005

Adventures of The Girl*

There's been a little, ahem, concern about my lack of posting.

Um, yeah, I really haven't been posting at all, have I?

Sigh.

It's been a rough couple of months, and without wanting to complain, let me just say that by the time I get home from work these days, I can barely even stand to turn on my computer, let alone put together any kind of a coherent post.

To be honest, I haven't even been knitting really.

I've been *looks both ways, makes sure no one can overhear me* reading. And not Bookish Girl style, where I knit, and converse, and read all at the same time. No. I've just been Nose in the Book, Don't Talk to Me, Yes This Book IS an Impenetrable Wall of Silence reading.

I really don't want things to go on this way, though. I have been sorely out of balance, and I used this past weekend as a way to begin regaining my equilibrium.

How, you ask?

I went to Maryland:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I took this one picture on my way from my car to the fairgrounds:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I had dinner with these fabulous and amazing and wonderful and witty and lovely and terrific women on Saturday night:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I haven't linked to everyone yet, but I will update with the rest of the blog links as I have them. Needless to say - all of these women were great and you would never have guessed that many of us were meeting each other for the first time. Did we talk about knitting? You bet. Would we still have had things to talk about if the subject of knitting had been banned? Absolutely.

Okay, that's not entirely true. We all spent a goodly amount of time feeling up Donna (she's the hottie in the gorgeous blue hooded cardigan sitting between awesome Rebecca and elegant Eilene) in her finished Mariah. Freakin' unbelievably gorgeous.

I bought a little bit of yarn:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And I had a hell of a weekend.

I know that in the greater scheme of things I didn't take a lot of pictures, and I'll tell you why - even though I went to the festival primarily to "meet" bloggers I've only met through the knitblogging community, it felt like an offline vacation. Michelle and Lauren both opened up their homes to me, a stranger, and yet I never felt like I was going to meet people, I felt that I was going to visit with friends that I don't get a chance to see often and because of that, I didn't really feel the need to take lots of pictures or think about feeding the blog while I was there. I've been so blessed to meet the people I've met via blogging - Wendy, Jackie, Melanie, Debbie, and Maryse to name only a few - and they are people that have really become friends rather than knitting friends. This means that I see them more often than I blog about seeing them, and I think about them even more often than that.

Going to meet my Maryland girls felt the same, and it felt pretty personal.

So, what I'd like to tell you is this:

Michelle and her wonderful family Mike, Marah, and Gabe hosted me from Thursday to Saturday, and Lauren and her incredibly generous husband Kris (plus their lovely family - Jen, Bella, Rusty, and Quincy) hosted me from Saturday to Sunday afternoon. I had a wonderful time the whole time I was on vacation, and I have some particularly favorite memories that I know will be special to me for years to come.

*Michelle's son Gabe spent the majority of my visit calling me The Girl, but in the most adorably charming way. Hee hee.

Happy knitting all.

10 Comments:

  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger ErLeCa said…

    It sounds like you had such an amazing time "meeting" everyone. I can't even begin to tell you how much I wish I could have gone. Hopefully next time!

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger --Deb said…

    It's great that you had such a fun time in Maryland, but really, you never need to be ashamed of getting caught up in reading. The only faux pas here is that you didn't tell us WHAT got you so involved!!

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Kris and I both enjoyed our time with you SO much, Elisa! I just wish we had had more of it--it went by way too fast. I am so glad I finally got to meet you.

    Love the yarn haul you came away with--I don't think I got to see all of it!

    Take care, and I am already thinking about a Boston trip :)

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Eilene said…

    Elisa...it was fabulous meeting you. You are so sweet! I had such a great time with everyone. I wish it was 2 times a year.

    To me...the best part of the festival was meeting all the bloggers.

    Take care!

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger Amie said…

    Oh, I'm so sorry I missed meeting you! I was there both days, but running all over the place (usually bogged down with yummy fiber!)

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Dani said…

    I just found your blog through Lauren's and I am glad you had a chance to go to the Festival! I am so super jealous!

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Jay said…

    Wow, you have been a busy girl!!

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    It was great meeting you!

    I'm still reeling from all the sensory overload...Look at all the lovelies you came away with...gorgeous!

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger um said…

    wowza. when'd you pick up that haul? it wasn't when i was around, that's fer sure. very nice, indeed!

    we're going to gabe's piano lesson today - i'll miss you! i'm glad you had such a great time last weekend. enjoy your reading!!

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger Jackie said…

    I'm glad you're back from your sabbatical. Reading an Elisa Original is always a highlight of my day. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines