Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Hi, I Almost Got Run Over Today

No shit.

Those of you who know me may know that I am a fairly aggressive pedestrian. I DO live in Boston, though, and living in Boston means that should you EVER want to cross a street, ANY street, in fact, EVER, you have to be at least a little aggressive.

But I should back up a bit. I know I've mentioned my commute home before - the last leg of my commute involves either a bus or a trolley. If I manage to catch the bus then I end up crossing just one intersection, and it has a stoplight (and I always wait for Walky Guy), and once I'm across I'm home in no time. If I have to take the trolley, I end up about half a mile from my house and I have to cross one intersection that on a good day is only mildly terrifying. In order to cross that intersection, I have to take advantage of lulls in the traffic and wade out about halfway across the street and wait for the cars coming the other direction to stop and let me cross the rest of the way.

Tonight? Tonight was actually looking pretty good for crossing the intersection, so there I was standing in the middle of the intersection, plainly visible to the car coming from the opposite direction, and you know what he did? He almost hit me. In fact, he came so close to hitting me that a car that had just turned the corner at the intersection I was trying to cross actually stopped because well, I can only guess because he was expecting the guy to hit me, and he wanted to be there just in case. Okay, seriously - when a Boston driver pulls over like that? You know that what just happened was exactly as terrifying as you thought it was. Me - I just screamed "YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!" as loud as I could, and I'll tell you guys honestly, if that guy had stopped or tried to give me any shit about crossing the street, I would have punched his lights out.

Immediately after the car nearly smooshed me and I yelled my ass off at the Smoosher, I immediately felt like bursting into tears. Luckily I was only about a block from my house, so I was able to get a big hug from Mike before I went and laid on the bed in a fetal position, waiting for the shaking to stop and my heart to slow down.

And you know what else? I keep making these lovely plans for my evenings that seem to be nothing more than pipe dreams. Last night I had every intention of coming home from work, eating a little dinner, chatting with Mike, reading a little from "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell", and maybe, oh I don't know, knitting a little, but you know what happened instead?

I spent 3 hours working on database design for my new job.

I love my new job, but what the fuck is wrong with my head?

In all honesty, I might be making more time for knitting if I wasn't so damn bored with the Ribby Cardi.

La Ribby:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ho Hum

I did take a mini-break and start working on this:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
That's 4 out of 5 petals for the chenile washcloth from Weekend Knitting. Um, yeah, I know you guys are all just freaking out because of my mad knitting output. Pfft.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Big Fun, Part III

When I last left you, Kim, Mike and I had just left Jordan's and were heading off for Big Fun, Part III.

Um, yeah - we all went out to dinner.

Of course, we went to dinner in the North End, and we went to my favorite little restaurant, Tratoria il Panino (no, NOT the one in Fanueil Hall), and had a really wonderful little meal. Kim forgot to bring Wavy with her that night (the coldest part of her visit, of course), but just so you know that I really did finish Wavy on time, here's a picture:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hey - did I tell you I almost got run over today???

20 Comments:

  • At 10:04 PM, Blogger kmckiernan said…

    Oh my god, how scary!!! I'm so glad to hear you are OK and the guy didn't turn you into a pancake. Feel better soon and tell those people to put in a crosswalk and slow down!~

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Blogger Kim said…

    What's the deal with my eyes in these pictures? I swear it looks like I had a stroke the way the right one droops. Oh well. I'm so glad you didn't get run over. I don't know what on earth I'd do without my best friend! If I'd been there, I'd of chased him down and beat the snot out of him!

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Heide said…

    Good that you're making that cute washcloth -- it's good to have little almost-instant gratification projects when you have big never-ending projects on the needles!

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger maryse said…

    you know if i'd been there, i would have chased the motherfucker down and kicked his ass! i'm glad you're ok though. but please, be more careful. there are way too many motherfuckers out there.

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger Knittens said…

    Holy Crap! That is so scary! Im glad you are ok. I have a couple of memories like that from Boston. I remember my parents coming and visiting for the first time. I went to cross the street and they yelled "You're going to get hit!" and i just yelled back "and you're going to be standing there all afternoon!"

    Do you remeber that car? Maybe he frequents that intersection and you can come armed next time!

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger ErLeCa said…

    Ummm, yeah, don't think I would have been able to handle almost getting hit by a car as well as you did. I might have just broken down into the fetal position right there in the intersection. Maybe next time you should wear one of those bright orange vests with refelective tape on it. Sure it's not the most fashion conscious thing in the world, but at least the chance of getting hit lessens.

    But seriously, glad everything's ok and that you weren't smooshed

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Bookish Wendy said…

    Dude, that is no good. No good I tell you. The car, the work...none of it. You must rid your life of these elements!

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Stitchy McYarnpants said…

    Ah, yes. Adrenaline-induced hysteria. I know it well (I'm not a very good driver). I'm proud of you for not kicking the guy's car. Next time, don't make me proud. ;) I'm glad you were able to get a hug right away, that is always a huge help with AIH.

    As for databases and endless work crap, I'm right with you, sister. I've barely knit anything since getting back from vacation because I've been working so much. We really must figure out a way to avoid the unpleasantlness of petty laboring. It sucks a huge hunk of pimply, hairy ass.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Gypsymoth4 said…

    SO sorry about your near-death experience. Fear is a funny thing. I almost got run over once, and I waivered between quivering rage and sobbing. I sympathize! No one would have blamed you had you found a large rock and pitched it at the back windshield, or if you'd aimed it for his head, even.

    Awesome job on those knits... I'm only working on one thing right now (lame, I know). I admire anyone who can dedicate time to more than one project.

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Jackie said…

    THAT F*CKING A$$HOLE!

    I'm glad you're alright. :) As for spicing things up, it is only good for your mental health to be working on several projects - sometimes you just need to find the right thing to spark the fire.

    Boy, you must love your new job...

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Eilene said…

    Maybe if enough people complain...they will do something with that intersection! That is just not safe!

    Why are you so bored with the Ribby cardi. It looks great & you are so close to finishing it.

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    I am so glad my Elisa is okay! Yeah, like Kim said, I would have chased him down and beat the snot out...

    Your Ribby does look good, but I can understand how you could get bored... just keep on, and then you will be so happy with the FO.

    Take care, sweet E. Hope today was better than yesterday.

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Gracie said…

    OMG! What a butt that guy is! I am so glad that you are ok though. Next time, we will throw rocks at his car. He obviously didn't think about how bad it would have been for him if he had hit you. He would have had Mike to beat him up and a bunch of knitters with long pointy sticks coming after him as well!

    Sorry that Ribby is getting boring, I found that too!

    Have a great Wednesday and let's be glad that tomorrow is Friday!!

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Kathy said…

    OMG - I've had that experience before, more than once. Baltimore traffic isn't nearly as scary as Boston's, but people still don't stop for pedestrians. Luckily I have the option of two different bus lines to get home and I now take the one that doesn't require me to cross any major intersections.

    We peds need to band together and fight crazy drivers, most of whom don't deserve to have the privilege of driving! I think folks should have to take both written and driving tests every 5 years.

     
  • At 4:51 AM, Blogger k said…

    Ack! Glad you are okay and that you had the presence of mind to cuss at the potential smoosher. Wish you'd been able to break the smoosher's car into little bitty pieces.

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Cara said…

    So sorry about the (almost) run-in with the fucking asshole. In New Jersey, no one walks, but you have to be really careful at the green lights. No one stops on read anymore. Seriously. I now stop on the green and check to make sure there are no fucking assholes barreling through the intersection.

    Glad you're okay!

    By the way - I'm right there with you on the boring ribby. Mine's still on the blocking board because I'm too bored to finish it. It WILL look great in the end though.

     
  • At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Imagine Thousands Of Links Back To Your Web Site From Other People's Blogs!

     
  • At 5:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    display your RSS feeds on their web sites for content.

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I enjoyed you blog about extra home.com link make money. I also have a site about extra home.com link make money which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Hoodia said…

    Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
    You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines