Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Big Fun, Part II

Or, To Portsmouth and Back Again
A Short Girl's Tale

Before we begin, I have one picture from Big Fun, Part I, that I'd like to share with you:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Why am I sharing this particular picture with you? Two reasons: Shannon kept saying she wasn't sleeping, and I kept insisting I was sober. Need I say more? I didn't think so.

Saturday morning Kim, Mike and I drove up to Portsmouth and meandered toward the Friendly Toast for lunch. We pretty much ate our way through the weekend, but the fact that we walked about 8,000 miles helps me justify all the great meals we had.

We got ourselves situated at the Friendly Toast and busted out the cameras:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mike took a picture of his favorite piece of "art":
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I wish my feet were half as happy as Happy Foot.

We went our separate ways after lunch, Mike heading for a marathon shopping trip at Bull Moose Music and Kim and I heading up Islington Street to do a little browsing (and some buying) at some of the wonderful Portsmouth shops.

On our way back to the car, I snapped this photo:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I have told you about Kim's wonderful and amazing hair, right? *sigh*

On our way to Big Fun, Part III we made a stop at Jordan's Furniture. See, you have to understand that there is NOTHING like Jordan's in California, and everyone who visits me is likely to get dragged to one should we get outside the city during their visit. This particular Jordan's that we went to has a trapeze school INSIDE of it, a Bose store, and a replica of most major Boston landmarks made entirely out of jelly beans. You tell me how you're supposed to skip seeing something like that. I mean, come on now.

In real time news, there's exciting things and sad things afoot here at Chez Concateknit. Sadly, our friend Aki is leaving to move home to Japan tomorrow. As much as Mike and I know that Aki has a tremendous opportunity to look forward to in Japan, we will really miss his smile, kindness, and enthusiasm. We'll also miss Aki's uncanny ability to get us both REALLY, REALLY drunk (remind me to tell you the story of The First Time We Went to the White House sometime, 'kay?) beyond all reasonableness. Aki has made me promise that Mike and I will visit him in Japan (well, I think he's really more interested in Mike going, but I get to go too, so it's all good) and he's really gunning for Mike and I to get married so he has a good excuse to come back to the USA. The fact that Aki is really serious about us getting married so he can come to the wedding necessarily endears him to me. Remember - it's good to get other people to do things that you can't or won't do yourself. As Aki is already married, we're the next best thing, I guess. I just hope that Aki knows that he's been a terrific friend to me and Mike, and we will always cherish all the memories that we have with him. Good luck, Aki - you don't need it, but you deserve it.

Now, from the bittersweet to the jump up and down and pinch yourself because you're so happy - my dearest Mike has a new job! He'll be working for an organization that my organization is affiliated with, and he'll get to take all the wonderful skills he has to a new position where I'm sure his potential is limitless. I'm so thrilled for him and the opportunities that are coming his way. Go Honey-Pants! I did offer to put The Contingent (all the peeps that we're friends with that work with me) onto a shuttle out to his new workplace to celebrate on his first day of work, but he seemed to think that might be a little, well, dangerous. Granted, The Contingent can drink, but, um, okay, so maybe it isn't the best idea for his first day of work, especially as it's a Monday and all...

Alright lovelies - I'm going to sign off for now, do a little work (le sigh), and then maybe, oh, I don't know, KNIT for a while. I wish you all a lovely evening and good times with your sweetie-pantses. ;)

BTW - if you haven't heard Jackie's latest good news, go say congrats!

5 Comments:

  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Jennifa said…

    I've lived in MA my whole life, and I had no idea about the trapeze school...that sounds SO COOL. Have you ever done it? What's it like?

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger melanie said…

    You must be the new job fairy - there are new jobs abounding around you.

    Um, so when do I get MY new job???

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    SO much fun! What did you and Kim buy in Portsmouth? Anything cool?

    Congrats to Mike on the new job! Like Melanie said, you are quite the good luck charm for new jobs lately... I need you around when I finish grad school! :)

    Have a GREAT weekend, dearie!
    xoxo

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger ErLeCa said…

    Woohoo Big Fun! Congrats to Mike and his new job. Ok really, I have to go to a place someday that makes jelly bean replicas of actually landmarks... that just sounds so cool... and not a little bit random.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Jackie said…

    Don't you love Jordan's? That's where we got most of our furniture. Gotta love the NE furniture store scene. Between Bob's, Bernie & Phyl's and Jordan's, I'm mean really. I'm glad you introduced Kim to the madness.

    Please pass my congrats to Mike!! :) I can't wait to hear the details, like will he still be traveling, are you close enough that you could have lunch with him regularly and/or commute together, and is he super happy?

    Kim has fabulous hair. The pictures prove it.

    Hope you are having a fantastic Monday!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines