Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Thursday, February 17, 2005

National Flogic Day, Part III

I had to enlist Mike’s help with this. I was coming up with a complete blank for our third installment of National Flogic Day at Chez Concateknit.

I’m still a little disturbed by the gleam that crept into Mike’s eyes when I said “What else have I done that you would classify as flogic?” I told him I needed two more entries for the month, but only one for tonight, but he was really ready to give me Many More Than Two examples of Elisa being flogical. On the plus side, I’ve got this week’s and next week’s posts in the bag. The downside is that gleam I just mentioned.

Note to self: Mike has more than a few things to say about Elisa and flogic.

Second Note to self: Stop asking him questions about Elisa and flogic.

Ahem. Bruised ego aside (he says “Most of the flogical things you’ve done seem to do with food), I do have a part III in our Thursdays Are For Flogic series. Let’s begin.

I’m a vegetarian, albeit a fallen one (he says “Most of the time, I think you have a pretty good head on your shoulders. Have you told them about your thing with corn?”) but I really hate when Mike wants to tell people that I’m a vegetarian before we go to a function because I worry that the host will have to go out of their way to accomodate me.

I truly hate to have things prepared especially for me. It makes me feel really uncomfortable, and it makes me feel different - in a bad way. Almost without exception, things work out just fine for me when I go to a function like a potluck or a BBQ. It so rarely happens that there’s nothing vegetarian at one of those kinds of functions that I hardly even think about it anymore.

But Mike does (“Hey, did you tell them that you think bananas make you stupid just because they smell bad?”). Mike thinks about it so much that it makes me anxious. In a BBQ or potluck situation, I really do assume that there will be at least a salad with a salad dressing that probably doesn’t contain meat. I’m almost never wrong about this, people.

I am ALMOST never wrong.

Except for one time: Mike and I went to a BBQ at the home of one of his co-workers (he says “Um, his Supervisor!”), and as usual, I told Mike not to worry about what I would eat. I said what I always say, which is “Don’t worry. I never starve.” For whatever reason, we didn’t bring a dish with us, which is how I usually prevent myself from starving, but I still felt Cool and the Gang about it. Beer in hand, I wandered from table to table looking for a little something to nosh on, and I kept coming up empty-plated. The salad? It had meat in it, and not easily removable pieces of meat, but little bits of tuna or chicken salad that had thoroughly coated everything. The potato salad? I swear, there was Spam in there. Finally, feeling a little Zen about the whole experience (I find hunger really helps me with the whole Zen thing) I found a bowl of salsa. Excitedly, and much less Zen (because I was gonna eat finally), I picked up a tortilla chip (no, corn tortilla chips don’t count toward the whole corn thing) and scooped up some salsa, only to find that there was chicken in it.

Okay, really – who could blame me for thinking at least the freaking salsa would be meatless?

At that point, Mike had had it (he says “You know, the whole fried zucchini thing was really crazy.”) and he told the hostess casually that I was vegetarian, which sent her into a tizzy and meant that I then had to endure having her run back into the house and make me a cheese quesadilla. A HUGE quesadilla, which she announced was for me and for me only, to everyone within earshot. Well, I was mortified, and beyond that, I felt responsible for eating the entire quesadilla.

And Mike says “And none of this would have happened if you just would have let me tell her you’re a fucking vegetarian!”
Then he says “Grumble, grumble, drive me nuts, grumble.”
And then he says “So, did you tell them the REAL reason you don’t like corn?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Knitting Meme – I’ve been tagged.

Thanks Lauren!

Do you knit using the English or Continental Method?

Continental. I fancy that someday I’ll be able to do both at the same time and really impress the hell out of people, but for right now, well, I’m just happy not to stab myself with my needles, or strangle myself with my yarn.

How long ago did you learn to knit?
Most recently – about 9 months ago. I was taught the knit stitch by my dad’s second wife’s mom, but not knowing how to cast off, the scarf (of course) went nowhere.

Who taught you how?
Most recently – the internet.
The first time – see above

What was your first FO?
Wee doggies – an orange Homespun scarf that’s pretty damn wonky.

Favorite yarn?
Should this yarn lie to me like the last yarn lied to me, I want you to remember that I said this: I love Koigu KPPPM. Love it. If I were yarn, I’d marry it.

Favorite pattern you’ve knit so far?
Well, since I’ve knit it four times – I’d have to say Julie Anderson’s Sophie bag pattern.

Favorite pattern source?
IK and knitty. I’ll have to say ditto here.

Favorite needles?
Circulars. Clovers and Addi Turbos .

Nicest thing you’ve ever knit
The Cowl Sweater from Stitch n’ Bitch (otherwise known as the Very Bad Sweater). I gave it to my friend Shannon last night and she loved it. The girl sitting next to me said she had paid a lot of money for a similar sweater and she liked mine better.

Most hated project
The Very Bad Sweater.

Let’s see – who will I pass this on to…

Well, Wendy of course (sorry, darlin’), Melanie, and Emily.

TAG!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Bookish Wendy said…

    I know why you REALLY don't like corn! Only because a certain someone, who would be really mad if I admitted this to the internet, has the same flogic.

    A great story, thanks Mike for sharing it!

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger ErLeCa said…

    Thank god for your posts! Work has been blah and your post totally pick me up. I'm definitely liking National Elisa Thinks Stuff Month, it's the best!

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger emily said…

    Whoa! I been tagged! Better get postin'!
    I would love it if you would post every day about how you hate bananas. For some reason it just cracks me up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines