Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Thursday, February 10, 2005

National Flogic Day, Part II

I'm not a slave to fashion. I don’t need to wear the latest designs, or buy new makeup for each season. To be honest, I don’t really care much for fashion at all. Style, however, is important to me, and I have a whole litany of rules and regulations that I subject myself to each day as I get ready to leave my house.

When I was still living in downtown San Jose, I would ride my bike all over town while wearing my four inch slides or my faux leopard-print boots, thinking nothing of practicality.

Practicality has never been an item on my list of style rules.

Exchanging cute shoes for Comfort never even crossed my mind a remote possibility.

The year after I moved to Boston, a bunch of my co-workers and I decided to do a 13.1 mile charity walk, and I was never worried about whether or not I’d be able to complete the walk.

I did have other concerns, though. One morning, I walked into a my friend K’s office and said, “What shoes are you going to wear for the walk?” She just stared at me until she realized I was serious and then she replied, “Um, Sneakers?” I said, “But sneakers make me look like an asshole.” and then I walked out of her office. When she stopped laughing, she asked me what I was planning to wear for the walk. I said I thought I’d wear my Sketchers because they were sneakerish but still cute.

So I did. And I finished the walk. But not without injuring one of my big toes and ending up with some really freaky shit happening to that toenail. In fact, I ended up convinced I had an ingrown toenail and going to the doctor about it not once, but twice.

To this day, whenever the weather turns inclement, my friend will call or email to find out what shoes I’m wearing, and usually I’m wearing something not terribly practical.

Mike thinks that my unwillingness to wear sneakers for the walk is a primo example of flogic, and I suppose if I use his standards, he’s right. But had I wore sneakers that day, I wouldn’t have ended up at the doctor’s office one Friday night for my perceived ingrown toenail, and in my terrified state (oh yeah – I HATE going to the doctor. Usually they need to make me lie down and do deep breathing exercises before they can take my blood pressure.) I may not have felt the need to just drive around looking at stuff instead of going home, and I might not have wandered into the café where I met Mike.

Um, the point?

Well, I guess it going something like this:

1 - Fashion is Lame.
2 - Style is Good.
3 - Cute shoes are Great.
4 - Cute shoes and sneakers are not equal.
5- Wearing cute shoes to go on long walks and injuring yourself can lead you to cute boys who will later make Big Fun of you for spending A LOT of time thinking about #’s 1-4.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before I go, I’d like to show you a little something:



Last night, I went met Wendy, Keiko, Jackie, and Wendy’s lovely friend Erin, for dinner at Clery’s in the South End. We ate, we drank, we knit, and we spent a lot of time talking about Jackie’s engagement. She’s just radiant and full of joy, and I know that she and Eric are going to spend a lifetime full of love together.

Yay for love.


8 Comments:

  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Oh Elisa. You thong and stilettos girl. I am so a cotton underwear, jeans, and sneakers girl. They have to be cute sneakers (which I know you doubt the existence of), but they are usually sneakers. Now we have to see a picture to see how you can "look like an asshole"...

     
  • At 1:54 AM, Blogger alice said…

    you know, i actually have a MASSIVE collection of Cute Sneakers. i added another pair to them today, actually :) puma mostro sneaks, in blue linen. my boyfriend (who owns ONE... one pair of shoes, just sick) thinks i have a Problem. NOT TRUE!

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Colleen said…

    [Oh, I am lovin' the new blogger comments format.]

    Even, I, Ms. Sturdy Shoes, thinks that sneakers (or trainers, if we're being British about it) make me look like Dork #1.

    Have you tried Berks in Harvard Square? They have some less-than geeky looking sneakers, but I still cannot bring myself to buy any.

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Anonymous carolyn said…

    the only sneakers i'll wear are old skool vans in navy blue because i think i'm still 16 and they make me look "cool". pathetic, i know.

    and i just can not, will never ever EVAR wear white running sneakers. i feel like my whole foot is glowing and everyone is looking at my feet and i look like a great, big Jerry Seinfeld. even for the gym my sneakers have to be grey.

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger Gracie said…

    I adore cute shoes. Isn't it sad when your heart begins to race, you pulse quickens, and you start to have difficulty breathing when you see a cute pair of shoes?

    I admit, I do have 1 pair of tennis shoes. But, they are Coach and they have a cute little charm on them. And, yes, I do work out in them.

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger um said…

    aww, dude. for real - sneakers suck. when i wear them, i feel like a big-assed country woman who has a dutch boy hair cut and drives her minivan to sears. (okay, i do drive a minivan, my hiney is a little cushioned, but i don't have a dutch boy hair cut - that's just wrong, and but i do sometimes go to sears for kids' clothes).

    anyway, i REFUSE to wear them. my mike makes me feel like a dummy b/c we go hiking and here i am in my birkenstocks, and he just shakes his head with disapproval. so to appease him, i wore sneakers to the girl scout day camp i was running last year. and i stood on a log, in the sneakers. and i broke my leg, in the sneakers.

    so if you ask me, it's the sneakers that are illogical. b/c i wouldn't have dared step on the log if i had on my cute sandals. duh!

    i will admit that i do have a pair of orange sneakers (of course!), but they're a size too small and hurt my toenails when i wear 'em. but they don't make me feel like the big dutch boy lady i described above.

    you're cute and funny. *hug*

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Anonymous maryse said…

    i love cute shoes and would wear them if my feet weren't so annoying. but they are. so sneakers i wear. but i don't wear big white jerry seinfeld ones. i won't even let joe wear those -- blech. tell mike to relax though -- most guys love cute shoes on girls anyway -- and he'd probably hate it if you wore ugly sneakers.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Shoes are totally my weakness, and I have loads of cute strappy sandals, and boots, and even sneakers... I think that they fit into my style pretty well. Everybody has their own style! You are too funny with your February write-ups! I really look forward to them :)

    Great pic of the group!!

    *heart heart*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines