Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Thursday, February 03, 2005

National Flogic Day, Part I

Since I get to make up the rules this month, I’ve decided that today is National Flogic Day. In fact, today is National Flogic Day, Part I, because I’ve decided that here at Casa Concateknit we’ll be celebrating Thursdays are for National Flogic Day all month.

That being said, you probably want to know what the hell “flogic” is…

Some Background:

Back when I was a vegetarian in good standing (I’ve had a hot dog and pepperoni since, so I’ve fallen hard and fast) I would get meat guilt. Meat guilt is the guilt I feel when I ask a friend of mine what she plans to make for dinner, and she responds with something like “Oh, I could defrost some steaks, or there’s some chicken in the refrigerator” and I start feeling like a complete loser because there are no steaks in my freezer to be defrosted to feed to my family. I end up feeling very guilty about being a vegetarian and have to stop myself from running out to the grocery store and buying a bunch of meat I know nothing about and have no idea how to prepare.

A Story:

My meat guilt drives me to demand periodically that Mike and I go to restaurants that serve virtually no vegetables, and one day, I insisted that we go to Woodman’s the following weekend so that Mike could have chowder, fried clams, and whatever other kind of fried seafood he was interested in that would help assuage my meat guilt. Mike, being the concerned boyfriend that he is, asked me what I would have to eat. I never even hesitated when I said I’d eat fried zucchini. Remember Mike’s “What Are You Doing?” face? That was the look that he gave me as he asked why I would possibly think that Woodman’s would have fried zucchini. I said “It just makes sense” and he said “To Whom?” At work the next day, I asked my friend Jess what kind of vegetarian items Woodman’s had (I realize that even the fried zucchini isn’t really vegetarian) and she responded, just as quickly as I did “fried zucchini”. You can imagine how excited I was to tell Mike.

We went to Woodman’s the following weekend, and I, feeling vindicated, marched up to the counter to order only to find…no fried zucchini.

The Point:

Mike christened the logic that brought me to the conclusion that Woodman’s would have fried zucchini “flogic”, which means “female logic” and don’t ever let him tell you it means anything else (he told a female co-worker that it meant “flawed logic” because he didn’t want to get in trouble). The most integral factor in determining whether or not something is flogic is a certainty that you are absolutely right, even when common sense tells everyone else around you that well, you aren’t.

So – when’s the last time you used flogic?

I have to thank you guys for your hilarious comments today and always. You guys rock!

In other news:

I got tagged!

Michelle, of The Orange Yarn, Please, and Maryse, of bag 'n' trash, tagged me to do the neat music meme that has been making its way around the blog scene (I feel v. cool, I tell ya’).

1) Total amount of music files on your computer:
A lot. Add a zero to however many GBs you think is reasonable.

2) The last CD you bought:
Damien Rice, “O”

3) What is the last song you listened to before reading this message?
Black is the color of my true love’s hair – Nina Simone

4) Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:

I See A Darkness – Bonnie Prince Billy. I was introduced to Will Oldham with this song by someone that I was very close to for a too-short period of time.

In the Dark – Nina Simone. Just listen to it. You’ll understand.

Goodnight Lover – Songs:Ohia. It reminds me of the end of my marriage

Love and Work – Songs:Ohia. It reminds me of the beginning of my relationship with Mike.

Hey Jupiter
– Tori Amos. Tori Amos reminds me of my friend Amanda, and I’ve always really identified with this song.

5) What 3 people are you going to pass the baton to and why?
Wendy, because I know she’ll surprise me.
Jackie, because she makes really good mix cds.
Nancy, because she’s just cool like that.





8 Comments:

  • At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so looking forward to February now.
    1. More posts from you
    2. A lot of really freaking funny posts from you
    I can't wait to see what else you come up with... :)
    ... although I must admit, your hatred of corn hits me hard, Elisa. Hurts me bad. ;) I bet you're a perverted cucumber-loving sort into the bargain.
    xo Mandy

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger melanie said…

    You are the cutest little bundle of neuroses I ever did see! I think the F in Flogic should be for F*cking Adorable.

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    flogic. Yeah I will keep that one to myself..I know the boyo would love to use that on me...when I am not myself (PMS you know)

    hehe. love that.

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger um said…

    i love this month for many reasons, but one of the newest reasons is because you are posting everyday. yeah!

    i'm a flogicker as well, so you have some company. however, i like to think that flogic is "fun logic," because face it - without our colorful ways of thinking, life wouldn't be fun :)

    fried zuke is delicioso. i love it and fried cauli and mushies. ever dip 'em in a horseradish sauce? oh yeah! *insert kool aid guy's voice here saying "oh yeah"*

    thanks for accepting my tagging :) i'm going to try to find your songs. they sound interesting and intense.

    take care! :) m

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger ErLeCa said…

    Flogic... yep. I'm guilty. Let's see, I'll be the first to admit that I will drive about ten or twenty minutes out of my way to "go the way I know" rather than pull out a map and spend a few minutes finding a new route. My boy thinks I'm insane for this!

    Well, if women have flogic then men have mlogic. They will drive around for hours rather than stop for directions! Seriously guys, swallow the pride! Let's not forget that guys are just as quirky as us ladies!

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Bookish Wendy said…

    Ahh, farts. I had hoped I would escape this one. Triple farts.

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Nancy said…

    If you were to ask my hubby, when don't I use flogic?

    I can't believe the restaurant didn't have fried zucchini? I **love** fried zucchini! I'm not vegetarian, but I would never eat at that restaurant just for that reason alone. :-)

    By the way, if I've gotten tagged by two people in the same day, does this mean that I'm extra loved? (hee,hee!)

    Nancy
    http://goteweinstitches.blogspot.com

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger Amie said…

    Flogic. I am highly guilty of possibly the most common. We have a very busy schedule that makes house cleaning difficult. Once, GB suggested we get a cleaning service once a month or so. My response?

    "I can't have someone come in here and clean - the place is too messy!!!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines