Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Monday, February 21, 2005

National Elisa Thinks Knitting Helps Her Feel Less Lazy Than She Really Is Day

Sundays are traditionally lazy days here at Chez Concateknit. Especially during football season, when I require little if any focused energy from Mike, Sundays are low-key. In fact, I am a big fan of showering on Sundays only to don a clean pair of sweats. It doesn't require a lot of prodding to convince me that whatever I think needs to get done can actually be done at Some Other Time.

Witness a conversation from today:

Me: Do you need to go to B*st Buy today?
Mike: No. Oh - to buy the vacuum cleaner?
Me: Yeah.
Mike: Well, sure, if they carry the one we're looking for.
Me: Okay, well, I'm going to take a shower, so why don't you find out if they carry the vacuum we want. Whether or not they do will determine whether I put on pants after I take my shower, or whether I put on sweats.
Mike: Oh. Okay.

(a few minutes later - I'm still in the shower)
Mike: Hey, babe?
Me: Yeah?
Mike: They carry it.
Me: Okay. Did you want to go out there and pick it up then?
Mike: Well, we could, but we don't need to rush, do we?
Me: What do you mean?
Mike: I mean, we don't have to go buy it today, right?
Me: Um, sure. I do have to go to the grocery store, though.
Mike: Oh. Do you need me to go with you?

We did go to the grocery store, and for that I am thankful because we're supposed to get another storm tomorrow and the last thing I want to worry about is whether or not I have enough coffee for Tuesday morning.

Aside from rambling conversations with Mike, pretty much all I did today was knit. I finished the first of the birthday socks (photos to come when I'm not too lazy to get up, get the camera, take pictures, blah blah blah) and cast on for the second sock. I keep thinking that the birthday socks will be done in time to be wrapped and shipped to California in time for Kim's birthday (she knows these are coming, so I'm not ruining a surprise) until I remember that this is a short month, which means that I don't have my regular allotment of Oh Shit days at the end of the month to use to prepare for whatever deadline is inevitably looming for the first of the month.

But the amount of knitting I did successfully kept me from thinking about all the other things I wasn't doing. For instance, I wasn't doing laundry (although Mike and I did talk about laundry), I wasn't going to the gym, I wasn't writing thank you notes, I wasn't balancing my checkbook, I wasn't paying bills. I was knitting. I was looking at yarn on eBay. I was watching discs 4-6 of Season 4 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Under normal (read: before I knit) circumstances, I would have felt guilty about all the things I didn't do today, but because I was knitting, I felt like I was doing something constructive, and if I am really truthful, I think I have arrived at a place where knitting feels like a perfectly legitimate reason for not doing all the other stuff I should be doing.

Thank god for knitting. Otherwise I might feel like I needed to dust.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:22 AM, Blogger k said…

    Hee! I have some horrific dust building up on the back of my fan, because I'm too busy knitting to get the vacuum cleaner out. Socks win out over the vacuum cleaner any day, but especially on Monday (my version of Sunday).

    LOVE the hair!

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Exactly! I feel so accomplished when I knit a whole garment in one day--not like a lazy ass that sat on the couch all day :P

    Sorry to be a bug, but did you get my email??

    Hope to talk to you soon!

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger ErLeCa said…

    Looks like I'm not the only one to be a bump on a log this weekend! I don't feel so bad now! I have to agree though, I don't feel like a complete waste of space since I got a little knitting done!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines