Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Sunday, February 27, 2005

National Elisa Thinks It's Keeping It Real Day

Or, Elisa's in a mood.

So, you guys know me right? You know that I feel rather, ahem, strongly, about orderliness. You know, I have that whole "I want you to be able to open any drawer in my house" thing. Well, today I faced up to the fact that there was a big part of my life where I wasn't keeping up to my own standards, and I felt, well, strongly, that I needed to take myself to task and get all my shit sorted out.

We're calling this Keeping It Real Day at Chez Concateknit.

I began by taking stock of the living room:


The tote is home to a baby blanket that I'm knitting for Mike's sister and BIL who are expecting their third boy in a few months.

The coffee table:


And under the coffee table:


Here's where it starts to go wrong:

This was (some of) my stash in the spare bedroom. That is a BAD picture. While the sight of all that yarn makes my heart warm, the site of all those muffins and boxes and bags scattered around on the floor make me feel ANXIOUS.

It gets worse:

This is a bag that's hiding in the guest room between the bed and the nightstand (Kim, I swear this will be gone before you get here).

And hanging from the back of the guest room closet:

That's an afghan I keep making myself forget about. I manage not to see that bag every morning. I know it's there, but I erase it from my consciousness. No, the afghan doesn't usually erupt from the bag the way it looks in the photo.

The other thing that usually lives in that bag is this:

The lap blanket I am making for my G'pa's girlfriend, Deborah. I was making it for him, but when he passed away, I decided to finish it and give it to Deborah instead. I really do feel a sense of urgency about finishing this and it isn't awful to work on, it's just, well, let's just say I don't wanna.

In order to embrace and confront my shame, I brought everything out to the living room:


I sorted and organized:
The sock yarn

The wools and silks

The bucket of Cotton Fleece

The other stuff: some Debbie Bliss, some lovely ribbon yarn, some DK weight yarn I bought to make finger puppets, that kind of thing.

I also put all the yarn destined to be sweaters into one bucket which made me ridiculously happy. Did you know that I have four sweaters planned for myself? Jesus, I knit one sweater successfully and now I've gone crazy with the sweater yarn purchases.

I also made an FO bucket. It's contents are few:

A scarf on the left and two Booga Bags on the right

So, those Booga bags? I don't want them. I knit them, felted them and promptly fell out of love with them. I really feel like they need some kind of bottom insert to help stabilize them, and I'm just not going to get around to making those inserts.

Do you want them? I swear to god, if you do, just leave me a comment that includes your email address and I'll email you for your snail mail address. There's nothing wrong with the Boogas except I don't want them, which means that They.Must.Get.Out.Of.My.House.

Also, do you remember this? Yeah, well, now it's this:


I told you, I'm in a mood and I mean business.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
In case you were wondering how I'd be spending the evening of the Oscars (and really, I can't imagine that you would), I'll be watching my newest, shiniest, most brand spanking new guilty pleasure: Dog the Bounty Hunter. I become giddy EVERY TIME I think about this show. You might be interested in knowing that Mike is trying to convince me that the Dog marathon has been canceled, but he's just a dirty rotten liar.

20 Comments:

  • At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Mandy said…

    Hey Miss Elisa, wanna trade? I'd be happy to give your black and white booga a good home if you'll be foster mom to a perfectly beautiful felted scarf that needs a better home than I can give it... it would look great with your new hair, too. :)

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    Hi Elisa - I don't know that I really have anything you'd be interested in for a trade, but I'd certainly give the other booga bag an excellent home. Just let me know.
    ~Beth
    bcartercps AT comcast DOT net

     
  • At 12:20 AM, Blogger mayflwr said…

    ooooh what lovely yarny goodness!! I wish I was as organized as you are! *sigh* I'll just wallow in my 'creative mess' ;)

     
  • At 5:23 AM, Blogger froggyknits.com said…

    oh so much fab yarn and so organized too. i need to to get with the program.

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger amanda said…

    we might be sisters. i'm the same way about things having a place and everything in its place and then of course, there is my knitting, yarn, fiber, etc. just about everywhere. i just finished making a spreadsheet to inventory my stash and my needles. guess i couldn't think of anything better to do... and dog rocks!

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Colleen said…

    Great job! Feels good, doesn't it?

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Gracie said…

    :Applause: :Applause:

    I'm so impressed!! The stash organizing looks great! I need to get to mine! I tried to do it, but now it is all one big mess again. I guess I need to pay a trip to the container store, one of my other favorite places!

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I use that plastic needlepoint canvas to put in the bottom of my felted bags. It's super cheap (like a quarter a sheet), super easy to cut to size, and super easy to put in. 1 sheet might be big enough for bottoms in both of those bags!
    Natalie

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I use that plastic needlepoint canvas to put in the bottom of my felted bags. It's super cheap (like a quarter a sheet), super easy to cut to size, and super easy to put in. 1 sheet might be big enough for bottoms in both of those bags!
    Natalie

     
  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Uh oh... I am getting nervous. You are going to see my messy stash in a few months when you visit... I hope you are still friends with me after you see it.

    I swear girl, you were meant to be a librarian... look at your sorting and organizational skills :)

    Hope the Boogas find a good home.

    **heart heart**

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger ErLeCa said…

    Wow, I'm amazed at how productive you were!!! I wish I had half that energy. It's just every time I go to do something I think to myself, I'd rather be knitting, so I go knit! I have no will power... it's sad...

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger alice said…

    ohhh boy, any chance that lower, brighter booga bag isnt claimed yet? i wanted to make one in that EXACT color... it's uncanny. and beautiful :)

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger um said…

    yeah, i echo lauren. i'm starting to grow nervous thinking of what you'll think of my disorderliness. will it help if i show disorderlies? maybe you'll think i'm charmingly cluttered. *crosses fingers*

    oh, and i'll take the sock yarn drawer, please. thanks :D

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger um said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Carrie said…

    I'm compulsively organized but I blame it on lack of space. I see your Booga Bags can easily find good homes! I've got a couple of purses where I "just" need some kind of washable stable base for them too but so far not happy with what I've tried. (except stashing them where I can't see them.)

    Oooh, your retail therapy yielded awesome results! Those boots are made for walking all right. Nancy Sinatra style.

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger knittygirl said…

    Elisa, I want to be you when I grow up. The only problem is...I don't think I ever will grow up! Anyway, I must say, your sock yarn looks gorgeous all snuggled up together so nicely!
    Kerry

     
  • At 5:47 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    oh my gosh. I have stash envy. :)

     
  • At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done!
    [url=http://pqlpqucd.com/agpa/ldmx.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ynybaqux.com/rkdn/ichc.html]Cool site[/url]

     
  • At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great work!
    My homepage | Please visit

     
  • At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice site!
    http://pqlpqucd.com/agpa/ldmx.html | http://asebjyxa.com/juvx/ztoe.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines