Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Friday, February 04, 2005

National Commuting Makes Elisa Anxious Day

Sometimes I realize that I am, and always will be, a California girl. To be more specific, a California girl, who despite her earth friendly tendencies, would really be more happy driving her own car everywhere she has to go. Especially to work.

I spent 3 hours commuting today. One and a half hours to work, one and a half hours home, and you know how many miles I travelled? Twelve. Total. Not each way, nope. Round trip.

I miss having my own goddamn car*.

Rationally, I understand that a car would not really alleviate my commuting anxiety, it would only channel it elsewhere, but when I am on a bus for forty minutes, going four miles, and I spend that entire time with a stranger's crotch, ass, or armpit in my face**, well, let's just say being at a standstill in traffic in my own car sounds like heaven.

So, now I am home, and ridiculously anxious because I have to get in our car and drive through the city on my way to a weekend out of town. I should be focused on the relaxing that will be happening in a few short hours, I should be focused on the fact that I am spending a weekend out of town with some really cool people in a really beautiful setting. I know I should be focused on those things. But you know what I'm really thinking about, right?

I'm thinking about driving through Boston at 4pm on a Friday.

Oh Jesus, I gotta go.
ll
PS - because commuting ate all my free time today, I won't be able to post tomorrow, and for that, I humbly apologize. I had a plan that was thwarted by the MBTA**.

*I have half a car. Mike NEEDS to drive to work every day, and helps me out with my commute as often and as much as he can. Today was something of an aberration.

**These items get their very own special day, mwah ha ha...

PPS - I think Melanie called me an adorable bunch of neuroses, and to that I say um, thanks? ;) Just kidding, Melanie, I got a huge laugh out of that comment. And Mandy asked me if I was a perverted cucumber lover, to which I have to say, well, duh, of course! Oh, and Wendy - why are you farting in my comments? I really thought you were more refined than that. heh heh heh. ;)

*mwah* eveyone, have a great weekend. We'll be back to our regularly scheduled neuroses on Sunday.

7 Comments:

  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Jackie said…

    4pm - Driving - Boston - Friday = Pukey Feeling

    Sometimes I think it makes more sense to just leave Saturday morning and save yourself the agony. It's just so awful.

    That being said, it's great knitting time. Take it from Wendy.... ;)

    Have a great weekend!

    Jackie

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Dear sweet California girl Elisa, I know how you feel... but I don't think that a car would help things... I rarely drive anymore since DH and I work at the same place, and there is a train stop near the office for me to go to school. For me, life is SO much easier this way--and I get more knitting time!
    Before this job I was spending way to much time in traffic, and I realized that I was becoming a bitter bitch because of it...

    Take care, and I hope you are able to find a little bit of free time tonight :)

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger maryse said…

    i'm sorry about your heinous commute. i hear you there though. my commute is almost 4 hours round-trip. i blame joe daily because before i met him my commute was 30 minutes roundtrip.
    anyway, by now you're with your friends having fun. enjoy yourself! and have mike drive home.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Amy Boogie said…

    I hated the Boston commute not that LA is any better. I lived just south of Boston and I drove in. It's only slightly less hell than the T. Things Boston taught me: 1. wear comfy shoes and walk 2.Make friends with other people that drive everywhere 3.Patience(although I think I forgot that lesson) 4.Traffic is pretty light 2-4 am :)

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Gracie said…

    Yuck... traffic.... one of the small reasons why I am glad that I don't live in Atlanta even though I miss everything else about the city.

    Have a great weekend out of town!

     
  • At 1:00 AM, Blogger Kim said…

    One of the things that makes me laugh since I moved to Coarsegold, CA from San Jose, CA is that people around here complain all the time about the traffic going to Fresno. What traffic are they talking about?!?! Even during "rush hour" everyone is still moving at a pretty good pace. I always tell them to stop complaining because they don't have any idea what traffic is.

     
  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger Kim said…

    Oh, and by the way, I H-A-T-E real traffic. Everytime I go to San Jose for a visit, I feel my blood pressure go up about 20 points as soon as I hit the city limit. Of course, it doesn't help any that the bay area has some of the worst drivers around (except for the "massholes" I've heard about ;) ).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines