Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Something Different, Something Explained, Something Shared

I made the decision to start blogging on the fly, and though I knew the blog would be primarily knitting-related, I felt a little funny about having a knitting blog. I mean, I read and loved many knitting blogs, but it felt different when it was ME doing it. So, I named my blog “Tongue Tied Muse”, which is the name I always planned to give my first book of poetry (should there ever be a first book of poetry, of course), thus feeling like I was leaving myself open to have a blog that was not solely knitting related, should I choose.

Over the past months, though, I’ve realized that 1) most knitting blogs are much more than knitting blogs, and 2) I’ve started to think of “Concateknit” as the real name for my blog. So, hi - welcome to “Concateknit”.

Although I don’t talk about it much, poetry is a very important part of my life, both what I read and what I write. The word concatenate became important to me when Mike and I first started to date and spoke to each other through the songs and poems we wrote. About two years ago I wrote the following poem “Confluence”:

Confluence

Confluence: n. a flowing together of two or more streams.
I sat by a riverbank with you,
Toes in the water,
And we tried to explain the nature of the moon.
You said, “The moon is a word mother”
I said, “The moon is where the unborn babies live.”
Then I wiggled my toes and was quiet.

Synergy: n. the interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.
Your fingers beat a small tattoo upon my back
As I stood next to you.
As I turned to face you,
Stood on tiptoe to whisper in your ear,
I laid a balancing hand over your heart,
And my breath against your cheek was an aria,
Composed of heart rhythms,
And vertebra vibrations.

Collaborate: n. to work together, especially in a joint intellectual effort.
I gave to you three birds:
A sparrow, a hummingbird, and a woodpecker,
You returned to me a phoenix.

Concatenate: v. to connect or link in a series
Driving through the rain we stopped at a red light.
You glanced at me,
And when the light changed to green,
You sped through the intersection
Only to pull over to the side of the road,
Jump out of the car,
Run to the passenger door, pull me into the downpour,
And kiss me—laughing.
Later, when I asked what caused you to do that you said:
“I wanted to know what it would be like to kiss you in the rain.”

Intertwine: v. to join or become joined by twining together.
My verbs are seduced by your rhythms,
And love is a language
Wrapped around your body and
Pinioned to the sky.

Alchemy: n. A medieval chemical philosophy concerned primarily with the transmutation of base metals into gold.
You entered the mausoleum of my body,
And with one hand on my face, and one hand over my heart,
The stone encasing my limbs fell to dust around me,
And left in its wake a new skin,
Which you rebuilt as a temple.


Yes, I do realize the irony of posting one of my poems for the first time on the day I really commit to a more knit-centric title for my blog. Actually, I think I’m just finally getting what my blog is really about.

Anyway, for those of you crazy, uh, brilliant, ahem, kind enough to link to me one way or another, I’m sorry that you’ll have to update my title, but I thank you in advance for taking the time to stop by and read me, and for being such an integral part of this adventure with me.

Next up - Sock II and S.E.X.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Oh Elisa, wonderful entry! I like Concateknits :) Tounge Tied Muse is a great name too, though, and will always hold a special little place in my heart!

    Wow, love the poem(s)... I love the style with the word at the beginning and definition. That is brilliant... you are so great!

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger Bookish Wendy said…

    For a minute I thought someone had stolen your URL!

    Truly fabulous - way to boss those words around!

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger melanie said…

    What a lovely poem! Thanks for sharing it with us.

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger um said…

    a few generations from now, a girl will receive a cd (or whatever they'll be using at that time) from her boyfriend. the title - "famous poets from the 21st century."

    "wow!" she'll exclaim. "elisa's on here!"

    and just think . . . i knew you back in the day :)

    this was awesomely brilliant. you're one special person! *hug*

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    All I can say is... Wow!

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you just wanted to move up higher in our alphabetical lists of blogs. ;)

    Natalie

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Jackie said…

    We grow and develop, so should our blogs, right? I'm glad you are re-finding your blog, and I'm grateful you posted your poetry. It is beautiful.

    Have a lovely weekend, Word Goddess. :)

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, Elisa! Thank you so much for sharing that poem. :) I love "pinion" the way you used it, and the stone metaphor in the one verse. It is a really beautiful poem and I'm so happy that you have the love in your life that inspired you to write it. :)
    xo Mandy

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Amie said…

    I agree - you're just trying to get higher up on those alphabetical lists!

    But if that was any indication, put me down for the first copy of Tongue Tied Muse (the book)... beautiful poem!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines