Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Monday, January 03, 2005

Life Is Good

No really, it is.

I mentioned that I will start a new job soon and I couldn't be more excited. I will continue to work for the same non-profit organization, but I will be doing more hands-on grant-related work and working with a group of terrific people. This just feels right. I feel lighter than I've felt in ages, and I just can't wait to start this new phase in my career. Wow, it really is starting to feel like a career. How crazy is that? I won't be working down the hall from The Bookish Girl, but I'll only be an elevator ride away. :)

Obviously the new job is a good thing, but it isn't the only one. Mike and I spent a wonderful New Year's Eve with Keiko and Tim and many other new and not-so-new friends. I called my aunt at midnight and told her how thankful I was that she is the matriarch of our family and what a beautiful example she sets of the true meaning of family. I welcomed the new year with a kiss, some champagne, and the feeling that the world held untold possibilities.

The good stuff just keeps coming, too. I had two wonderful packages waiting for me when I got home from work today. The first package included a CD that my cousin Stephanie made from a reel-to-reel tape of one of my G'pa's barbershop quartet performances. This is special for so many reasons, not least of which is that my G'pa had his vocal cords and voicebox removed when I was about twelve years old (stop smoking now, okay?) so when I listened to the CD tonight, it was the first time I had heard his voice in almost 20 years. Mike is going to make one of the tracks into an MP3 so that I can upload it here for you to listen to if you like.

The second package had this inside:


It is a beginner's needle felting kit from Fiber Trends, and a lovely gifty from my Knitter's Review Secret Pal II. The crazy thing is that she had this sent to me in November and I've only received it now. Oh, and did you know that my KR SPII designed this, this, and last but not least, this? Yep - my KR SPII was the fabulous MK Carroll. If you aren't familiar with her designs yet, I have a feeling you soon will be. I swear I may learn to crochet just so I can make that swankarific sushi TP holder.

In the midst of all the holiday craziness, I never showed you my last FOs of 2004:


The Heart Scarf from the Knitty Fall Surprise. The Bookish Girl knit one of these scarves for her grandma and I thought it was really sweet. I knit mine using Patons Divine rather than Reynolds Blizzard, but it's soft and squooshy just the same.


Sophie 4. I think I'm done with Sophie for a while. No, seriously, I really mean it. Well, I want to mean it, but you know how it goes...

My Irish Hiking Scarf is coming along very slowly, and I felt like I wanted to have a little something else going on to keep from stabbing myself in the eye with my cable needle, so I started this:


It's the boatneck sweater from Debbie Bliss' "Baby Knits for Beginner's" using Brown Sheep Company's Cotton Fleece. Mike's sister and BIL are expecting their third son, so I think this will be a sweater for him. I've read that Debbie Bliss' sizing can be a little on the large side, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Well, lovies, it's been a pretty good week so far, and it only promises to get better.

Welcome 2005 - I'm very glad you're here.



10 Comments:

  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger um said…

    what an uplifting post! i'm really excited that you feel like you've hit your groove at work. that's really exciting! i love the call you made to your aunt. she must've been so touched! that was thoughtful of you to do that. and wow, your grandfather on cd?! what a special present. i'd love to hear it. my grandpa died in 1979 when i was 9, but we have a tape of him talking about the importance of fossil fuels. these things are so precious!

    you're awesome! i hope you have as wonderful a new year as you are!

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    the beautiful part about baby clothes: children grow. just remember that.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Oh, I wish you the best of luck with the new job! I totally know what you mean about "just feeling right". I am in that same position now--and it is so much better!!

    Thanks for providing all of the info on your Secret Pal. I have put crochet on my "to learn" list for 2005, and I think that that toilet paper holder is adorable (I have never said that before...)

    Wow, love the scarf, E! Great work!

    So glad to hear that things are looking up for you!!!!! *hugs*

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger melanie said…

    And we are so glad you are here too! How cool is it that you can hear your G'pa's quartet? I would really love to hear that if you can figure out a way to make it available.

    I'm very excited for your new job. So glad this year is starting off so well for you!

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Gracie said…

    Ooo.... fun! Needle felting!!

    Glad you had a great NYE! I think champagne is probably my favorite part of NYE - I could drink a whole bottle just by myself if Philip let me!

    Love love the heart scarf - I may have to make that one for myself!

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Amie said…

    Happy new Year - how amazing to hear a voice after so long! You can actually put the post up on blogger without the *mp3 - they have a cool audio post option that involves calling a phone number and playing it down a phone line. It's how I posted the birthday songs from my brother and for my brother. Go to their main page and look for audio blog, or drop me a line and I'll look up what the number is.

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The irony is, I ordered the kit from Fiber Trends because they are so darned close to Boston. I'll have to check in with them on that one.

    There's an entirely knitted version of the sushi roll; when I find it I'll email it to you.

    Happy New Year!
    kai

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Knittens said…

    Oh may all your projects look great! Keep on trucking with that scarf, i dont blame you for starting a soft baby sweater :) I had to take a break myself when I started the second one!

    I think that is so nice about the tape you got from your cousin. I can only imagine how excited it was for you to hear that!

     
  • At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I meant to say: I ordered the Fiber Trends kit from Knit Witts in Scenic, Historic, Sturbridge MA. And then they...scenically, historically, charged my card immediately, yet the package took almost 6 weeks to get to Boston. Yeesh. Can you tell if it was a postal service problem or the yarn shop?

    kai

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck with your new job!

    No more Sophies, eh? All your projests look great. I love the heart scarf!

    Eilene
    http://eiknit.typepad.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines