Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Saturday, January 29, 2005

If You Think This Makes Me Happy


Well, you'd be right.

Early this afternoon, my v. nice postal delivery person (I'm trying to build up good postal delivery karma so that I don't have to go to the Bad Place again) brought this box of yarn to my door. Inside the box were 11 skeins of Knitpicks crazy cheap (and Soft! and Lovely! and Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!) Wool of the Andes in cranberry, plus two skeins of the Knitpicks Merino Style wool (also lovely and cheap and really soft) in strawberry and rhubarb. The Peruvian yarn is destined to be Rogue, and the merino will be a pink/red striped hat.

Um, and these may have also jumped into the box:

Knitpicks Sock Garden sock yarn in the Geranium colorway. Seriously? This yarn, which is 100% merino wool, is so gorgeous and soft that it's taking all my willpower (which admittedly, even at the best of times, isn't much) not to kick my Ribby Cardi to the curb in order to give all my knit-love to the sock yarn.

Actually, that's not really true. I'm perfectly content with the Ribby Cardi. In fact, it's a great project, and I am very pleased with the color.

I'm sure that many of you read Margene's post from a few days ago, asking the question "What Makes YOU Do This?" and prompting many bloggers to really think and reflect on that thing that drives us to knit (and in many cases, to blog, too). I commented on Margene's post, and I'll tell you what I said: I started to knit because I wanted to give gifts that were imprinted with my love for the recipients. I lost some people very dear to me in 2004, and I don't know what I would have done without knitting.

Let me share a few little things with you:

I went to California in May of 2004 when my G'pa was moved to the nursing home, my best friend K's mom passed away, and K gave birth to twin baby boys, all these things happening within days of each other.

The first two baby hats and the first two baby blankets I knit were for those two little boys. As I knit for them, I thought about K's mom, and K, and her little boys who would never know their maternal grandma.

Of course, I hadn't planned for that trip, and so the expense of the trip meant that I wouldn't be able to stay in a hotel close to G'pa in order to be able to see him over the course of two days. I planned to drive the 2 1/2 hours to see him and the 2 1/2 hours home in the same day so that I could at least spend one full day with him. I told my plan to one of my good friends, and in the time it took me to walk back from her office to mine, she had booked me a hotel room in the same town my G'pa lived in, and told me to consider the hotel room her early birthday present to me.

This is the friend who will receive the first sweater that I ever knit. Yes, that sweater - The Very Bad Sweater.

While I was in California on that trip, Caroline (of the socks) wanted to make sure I had some fun while I was home, and we spent a ridiculously fun evening in Old Town Sacramento and then she and her (absolutely darling) husband took me to see a Giants game.

Care has received a Zeeby's bag, a scarf, and my Freakin' Market Bag.

I wouldn't have been able to go on that trip to California at all had my Aunt Cheri not asked me to stay with her, and while I was there, she was my rock. She gave me shelter, she fed me, and she always knew exactly what I needed.

I knit a poncho and a skinny ribbon scarf for her.

For me, when there's just too much to say and too many emotions to adequately articulate, a handknit gift well-planned and lovingly executed seems to say everything I can't.

As if I needed anything else to make me feel content on this chilly night, let me leave you with this:


That's my Franklin Covey planner with fresh refills, 5 gel roller pens (sparkly, of course), the back of my Ribby Cardi, and a nice glass of wine. And yes, that is Mike's "What Are You Doing?" picture set as my desktop wallpaper. If you know us, it's fitting.

Happy Weekend, All.

Edited to add: I've just re-installed AIM onto my laptop and am ready to chat! If you have an AIM screen name, please leave it for me in the comments, or send me an IM at extrafancydg.

11 Comments:

  • At 12:58 AM, Blogger Freecia said…

    I also like to give friends knitted objects. Nothing says you care like a 60" cabled scarf in DK weight. Except possibly a sweater. What great friends you have.

    OMG. I can't tell you how many little laughs have errupted when I found out that you not only have a thing for pens (why was this NOT on your SP3 list, huh, huh?!) but Franklin Covey, too. I get their specials e-mails. I search for franklin covey on e-bay. I lust for their bags. Yet do not own any because I can't find a planner that fits my night owl time frame.

    Next time I hit the Japanese Stationary store, I swear, I'm going to send you a working pen or two ;) To spread the joy. Almost better than chocolate (which is also where your chocolate eraser came from). I just had to clean out my pen vase 'cause it was too full. My pen addiction is surely larger than yours. Next time you're in San Francisco (home of the Giants) be sure to hit Japantown and Kinokuniya stationary in there.

    SP3-freecia

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Hey Sweet E! Your Rogue is going to be fabu. Love the colors you chose. I can't wait to hear about how you like this yarn. I have the catalog sitting righ here on my desk (RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW) waiting for me to buy lots of stuff... but I just want to make sure it is nice to work with (and mainly, that it will not pill!)
    Heather (Pixiestickz) was working on her Rogue at our meetup and I loved it, so I cannot wait to see yours take shape!

    Your story on Margene's blog was so special--it was my favorite story on there...

    Take care, E, and stay warm and cozy this cold cold Sunday! :)

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger froggyknits.com said…

    can't wait to see your rogue take shape and i had to grab a socks worth of that new sock yarn too. cranberry is a great color. take care!

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger melanie said…

    Welcome to the Rogue Along, my dear. What excellent color choice you have!

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Gracie said…

    I am so glad that you liked the Knitpicks yarns! I am thinking about ordering some for a sweater from the new VK. Good luck with Rogue. I want to try it as well, but I need some more cable practice first!

    I love seeing people's reactions to what I have knit for them almost as much as I love knitting.

    Have a great Sunday and I can't wait to see the Ribby Cardi progress!

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    I've always been quite a selfish knitter, but I think you've inspired me to be a giving knitter. You're such a good person!

    Speaking of selflessness, thank you for ordering some of the Knitpicks yarn so that you could find out if they really are a good deal. I know this was your reason for doing so (especially in regards to the sock yarn), and I truly appreciate it! :-)

    Nancy
    http://goteweinstitches.blogspot.com

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    hey! ooh another roguer! Rogue is such a terrific knit..I got gauge perfectly with my denise 8's. Hope that lil tidbit helps!

    love that color...are you cardiganizing it? I chose the regular without the pocket...I can't wait to see yours! did I mention I love that color?

    :) that does it my next sweater yarn is coming from knitpicks. I am drooling over their prices and their yarn!

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Jackie said…

    You are blessed with many things - among them: lots of luscious yarn, a wonderful Mike, and an amazing friend. I was really touched by your friend who gave you a birthday present of a hotel room, and precious time. Of course, special people tend to have special friends... :)

    I promise to blog more - I'm not very excited by the hat, and I've been busy at work, and of course, hibernating, which doesn't make for good blogging. I did write on the k1r2 today, which is something I guess. I'm psyched to know you have AIM, my screen name is 'jkcunns' (no quotes). Let's get together soon!

    Jackie

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Bookish Wendy said…

    Great post lady. Very inspiring. I don't have AIM, I just have MS IM.....
    hmmm...it won't work, will it?

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been lusting after the yarn on knitpicks...it just seems so fantastic--and so cheap :) Your rogue will be fantastic!

     
  • At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines