Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Ho *shiver* Hum *shiver*

I've started every day this week with what seems like boundless energy. I putter around my house wishing I had the day off to clean and organize, certain that when I get home from work I am going to accomplish everything on my various to-do lists.

Then I end up standing outside for 30 minutes waiting for my shuttle, and by the time it arrives* and I start to thaw out, the only thing I can wrap my mind around is putting on my sweats and burrowing into my couch.

Because, you know, it's f*cking cold in Boston. I'm not even playing. I know I'm from California, and that's supposed to make me something of a weather weenie, but let me tell you, EVERYONE is complaining about how cold it is.

To celebrate how cold and bitter I'm feeling, I've decided to show you some progress pictures, which really illustrate how s.l.o.w. I'm moving this week.


My Irish Hiking Scarf. You'd think with how cold it is, I'd feel some sense of urgency to get this thing, maybe, like, done, but you'd be wrong. I haven't touched this scarf in days. I grunt and grimace every time I put on my muppet pelt but I still can't bring myself to work on the Irish Hiking Scarf.


This is the progress I've made on my Ribby Cardi. I really enjoy knitting this. I had some quality car knitting time yesterday morning when it took us 1h and 20m to go 6, seis, sei, six, yep SIX, miles. But I was knitting, not driving, so you won't hear me complain. Nope.


And just so you don't think it's completely slipped off my radar again (or alternately, just so you don't think it's being punished again) I give you the OTHER sleeve of the VBS. It should be moving out of my house and into its new owner's house sometime next month. Yay for the sweater. Yay for blocking.

I was really glad to learn that I'm not the only pen wh*re out there, and for those of you who asked - I become positively giddy when I get to buy office supplies. One of the things I'm hugely excited about with my new job is that I will get to devise my own filing system, which will certainly include color coding and hole punching and lots of file folders.

Happy (more productive than me) knitting, all. :)

*Oh yeah - when I get on the shuttle, I still have one train and one bus left to ride before I end up near my house. Ha-rumph.

*Edited to Add: In the comments, Jennifer asked what "parking ban" means. I'm happy to explain: a parking ban goes into effect when a snow emergency is declared. You are required to move your car off of main roads in order to allow snow plows to clear the snow off of busy streets. I happen to live on one of those main roads, which means that if there is a parking ban, I can't park on my street without risking getting tickets and/or towed. For more information, you can go here.

12 Comments:

  • At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yeah, get used the the complaining. New Englanders complain when it's cold, hot, humid, windy, rainy, snowy, foggy, and just about any other weather condition you can think of.

    But gosh darn it *is* cold today in Boston. Long underwear, wool, Thinsulate, my two-layer mittens, and heated socks (yes, with batteries) did little to keep out the cold air off the water.

    Cheers,
    Colleen
    subwayknitter.typepad.com

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Waiting for 30 minutes in that cold? I think I would have shriveled up and died... I had to wait 10 minutes yesterday for a train, and I did not warm up for at least an hour... brrr! It is cold here too, but I am sure Boston is worse.

    Wow, you should look into being a librarian or an archivist--you wake up and think about organizing--and then you can't wait to set up a new filing system--haha! You are more of a librarian than me! That is too cute!

    Your projects are coming along nicely-I have not been able to knit is two days because of school work :( I hope I can soon though!

    Take care, Elisa darling! Have a fun weekend!

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger um said…

    awww, i hope it warms up for you soon, sweetie. being cold sucks. your knitting looks like it's coming along great! i'm sure irish hiking scarf isn't upset about being ignored for a few days. it will have a busy job warming you up, and it needs to rest and get some energy stored up!

    at least january's almost over, which means spring is on its way. some days i live for that fact.

    take care and bundle up!

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger melanie said…

    I checked the temp this morning before I went out to my car and you know what it said? -5

    Cold as F*CK.

    I"m moving at a snail's pace myself - in everything. My apartment is a pig sty. My knitting is crawling along. Must.Thaw.Out.

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger ErLeCa said…

    You want to talk cold temperatures? This morning when I got up the news said it was -16 out. Yep that's -16. Without windchill.... holy crap it's cold...

    I feel for you having to wait outside in it for 30 minutes! Yikes!

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Gracie said…

    I'm so sorry it's so cold up there! At least today is Friday, and you have an excuse to be lazy the whole weekend!

    The Irish Hiking scarf looks fab, even if your progress is slow. I love the color. Don't you just love knitting the ribby cardi? I'm tempted to make another one because it was so much fun to knit.

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger Jackie said…

    I'm impressed with how much knitting you've gotten done at all, with the weather being what it is. There's only so much extreme cold the body can take before all you can do is huddle up under as many blankets as possible and hope you fall asleep until April. Or May.

    Happy knitting this weekend, and enjoy your filing!!

    Jackie

     
  • At 5:21 AM, Anonymous how to organize clutter said…

    I'm carefully developing a course and system for tips on organizing and other such topics for 'tips on organizing so enjoyed this on this post. Thanks Elisa. Nathan

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Anonymous organize computer files said…

    This is a diamond ace content blog Elisa and after reading this post I thought I'd send you a shout out. My main project is for organization skill

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Anonymous organize help said…

    Just wanted to say that I've sent some notes I gathered from your blog including this post for research on organize information which I'm helping with, with so thanks a lot Elisa. Anny.

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Anonymous organize computer files said…

    I'm researching for organize your home and this on this post is useful so thanks Elisa. Anny

     
  • At 12:31 AM, Anonymous organise life said…

    Great post Elisa I'm working with the writer of this course for organize your home and this post has helped so thanks. Anny

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines