Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Are You Worried About Your Feminine Hygiene?

If you are, please visit here and here to learn how to stay nice and fresh so that your DH won't stop loving you. Go ahead, take a look. I'll wait.

Freaked out yet? Yeah, me too. The links to these two ads were posted by someone on a list I belong to, and I thought they were worth sharing with you. I find the ads hilarious in a What The Fuck?!? kind of way. It also makes me glad I was raised by my dad, because there was no way he would ever have been able to have a conversation with me about my "freshness".

Seriously, though, I'd love to find one of these in print so I could frame it and hang it in my bathroom.

I am finding it hard to segue from vaginal douching to knitting, so I'll just start with a picture:


It's a sock, just in case you were wondering.

My first sock to be precise. I've been recently inspired by some great knitbloggers to pull out the sock yarn and teensy weensy dpns and get started. The picture above is what I had accomplished by about noon yesterday. I am using Plymouth Sockotta and US Size 3 dpns (which really aren't that small, I know) and following the Basic Sock pattern in the "Knit A Dozen Socks" booklet. So far I have been able to follow the pattern easily, but I haven't reached the heel flap yet, so if you hear some heel flap centered cursing coming from somewhere a little south of Boston, then you're probably close to my house.

My little sweet socky, which is in no way related to vaginal douching, is sitting on top of the book I'm re-reading, "Nice Girls Finish Last" by Sparkle Hayter. Sparkle Hayter is an author who is part of a genre of mystery writing called Tart Noir. If you like mystery novels with smart and funny heroines, check out Tart City for an introduction to some great female mystery writers (and a rockin' good time, too).

Speaking of rockin' good times - I've had plenty this weekend (how's that for a segue, hmm?). Although Friday night did not begin auspiciously (read, "I took the wrong train and ended up in North Quincy"), I ended up spending a lovely evening with Keiko, Jackie, Wendy, and two very nice friends of Jackie (friends that she has recently recruited to the fiber side). We enjoyed Jackie's lovely home and hospitality, and a fine time was had by all. All those bloggers in one room and you'd think someone who have a photo essay documenting Mrs. Bookish "investigating" the wine, but no...You'll just have to take my word for it that it was Funny.

We continued the revelry last night by having dinner at the Milky Way with Jackie and her SO Eric, Wendy and Rob, and then we bowled! There was a lot of good luck butt wiggling, some beer, some knitting, and a very good time indeed.

Today I will try and finish my first sock while watching the NFC playoff games.

Tomorrow I'll try to take the right train home from work.

It's a good life.

PS-The "What Are You Doing?" photo of Mike has become my desktop wallpaper. Hee hee hee...

10 Comments:

  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Gracie said…

    Congrats on working on your first sock!! It looks fab!!

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    All I can say about those ads is... Oh. My. God.

    By the way, I'm working on socks as well! I actually made a mini-sock using two circs (I just don't have the dexterity for dpns). Now I'm working on a "real" size sock. I can't wait to see how yours comes out!

    Nancy
    http://goteweinsitches.blogspot.com

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger knittygirl said…

    I love your cute little sock! Can't wait to see it all done. Thanks for the information about hygiene...I wouldn't want to lose my "air of romance" or anything!

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger um said…

    hooray for you and the sock! it looks great! i bet you'll have no prob with the heel flap. woohoo!

    i told my mike about those lysol ads. what kind of monster came up with the idea of mixing lysol and wazoo? probably the same people who thought grinding up mummies and using them for medication would cure all ills. or someone who had a bad relationship with his mom. :p

    i am excited to see more sock footage! have a great week!

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Freecia said…

    Heyyy, I just bought that book by Budd for my best friend as a gift :) It's not as glam as the weekend knitting but wow, it sure looked useful.

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger melanie said…

    Those ads are horrifying, but intriguing at the same time. Thanks for the links!

    I got me some sock yarn this weekend, but I couldn't manage the true skinny yarn. The thought of those tiny needles makes my hands cramp. I got the worsted weight kind...

    Now for a pattern.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Amie said…

    Re: kids.

    Ken has little ones as well (well, not little anymore) so he's fed his need to spawn. I have my whole life said that I would adopt if I wanted children, and that I like animals a lot more than people. Every so often (like after 9/11) I get a hormonal need to repopulate the earth, but seeing a small child eat a banana usually snaps me back to reality.

    I had a friend who once said to me "isn't it funny how as soon as you get engaged people think it's their right to ask about your sex life" when three people in a row asked when Ken and I would have kids. Depending on who it is, I generally say "no, I've never been so egotistical to think that my genes deserve to be duplicated when there are already so many unloved, homeless children in the world" and that tends to shut folks up pretty quick. It really is how I feel, 90% of the time... Ken would make beautiful children, but there is so much need in the world, do I need to bring more into it?

    And there's my dissertation for the day. Now get me off this soap box, please. ;)

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Bookish Wendy said…

    Michelle's Lysol and Wazoo comment is cracking my shit up. hahahahah. Great idea about the picture...let me see what Robby can do. BTW - I'm joining the new sock knit along! Football without you guys just wasn't the same. Two tears.

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    I have seen the Lysol douche ad before, and all I can say is, someone please tell me it was a different formulation than the stuff that is too harsh and strong-smelling for my tile floor! But in my heart I know it is the same Lysol, because That Place was Dirty and therefore needed a strong disinfectant. Let us all pause and be thankful we came of age after the Lysol douche. Great socks! I'm seeing so many socks on blogs, I'm almost motivated to finish the two pairs on the halfway point. Almost.

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Knittens said…

    Hey Elisa, nice socks :D
    Thanks for sharing the poem... wonderful.

    sorry im posting down here, for some reason im having problems posting up at your recent entries :(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines