Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Shocked

I'm still in shock. I was living in California during the quake of '89, and although it was frightening, we never lost power, never lost cable, never lost our telephone service. I remember going to the movies that night. I remember being amused that a photo booth full of film fell on my then-boyfriend's head during the quake. I remember going to school the next day and being shocked to find out that school was closed for the day in order to check for earthquake damage. Perhaps I wasn't effected by the earthquake as much as I should have been because I was only 15 at the time, and I still believed I was invincible. Now that I am twice as old as I was then, now that I know that none of us are invincible, I am stunned and shocked by the devastation caused by the earthquake and tidal waves in Asia. I hardly know how to wrap my mind around it.

Here is a list of some organizations accepting donations to help those devastated by the earthquake and tidal waves. I'm not sure which of these organizations to give to, so if you have a personal favorite, or if there are organizations that you would recommend, let me know and I will add those links.

The Bookish Girl outed me today. You may know that she recently got a new job, and today she posted the story of how she got new job. I was peripherally involved, but don't let her fool you - I passed along her resume, her obvious intelligence and qualifications did the rest. I'm sure she will be tremendously successful, and I'm just glad I was in the right place at the right time and able to offer a little assistance.

Of course, it could just be that I want lunchtime knitting buddies. ;)

I've been knitting, albeit slowly, on this:


Irish Hiking Scarf


Cable detail

On a very positive note, Mandy's blog, Yarnageddon, is up and running again, and you should stop by and say hello if you haven't already. She's been sorely missed in blogland, and I am thrilled to have her back.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger um said…

    it's so true - the number keeps growing, and it was already huge to begin with . . . it's just something that you can't fathom, you know? just unbelievable.

    i'm glad you'll have a knitty bud at lunch! how fun that'll be. and i am totally loving your irish hiking scarf! you cabler, you! go, elisa!

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Bookish Wendy said…

    Slowly my ass - you've gotten a ton done on that scarf. It looks great. Are you liking the cabling?

    You rock and I too am glad you were in the right place at the right time. We were all meant to meet to be together forever. :) JK - Everyone's worst boyfriend memory just came flooding to their heads.

    Rob and I are up for Bob Mould but I'm not sure if it's going to work - my gma's 80th birthday party is that Saturday in Rochester! We'll talk more about it later.

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you, Elisa, for such a sweet note about my blog in your entry. :)
    It certainly is hard to know how to deal with things like the horrific earthquake, it is so far removed from our lives. I'm posting a link to some recommendations re. where to donate. We donated to UNICEF, there certainly are a lot of places around that are helping out!
    Talk to you soon,
    Mandy

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger melanie said…

    There was an ABC prime time special last night on tsunamis. Lots of footage. Amazing and shocking.

    On a happy note - your scarf is lovely! The varigation is beautiful! I really love that pattern and may do it using some of my left over araucania.

    Have a good New Years - hope to see you soon!

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Hello Elisa darling :) The scarf is lovely. Wow... I signed up for the knitalong, and then changed my mind. I guess I can still make one. I love cables!

    I am so glad that Mandy is back too~yippee! :)

    Take care, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you!

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Lisa B (Knotted Pixie) said…

    Wow, your Irish Hiking Scarf is progressing quicker than mine, I'm embarrased to show pictures of my snail-slow anti-progress, but I really like the pattern, yarn, and one day the scarf will be more than a few rows. Your scarf looks wonderful too!

    Happy New Year!!!!

    Knotted Pixie (http://www.geocities.com/lkb_cruz)

     
  • At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice site!
    [url=http://abnqrkjy.com/gkcb/dnzq.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://fnyefoez.com/nhnw/ezsn.html]Cool site[/url]

     
  • At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done!
    http://abnqrkjy.com/gkcb/dnzq.html | http://slnaqspq.com/vymk/kxcn.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines