Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

I Like Lists, Too

1. Ha ha ha, you gals are very funny. No, the mystery WIP had nothing to do with baby items *gasp*: it was, predictably, Sophie 3:



2. Yes, that was my finished Freakin' Market Bag in the last photo. Would you like another?


I am seriously considering keeping this bag for myself.

3. The Christmas Knitting List, she is horrifying. I opened up my handy Christmas Knitting List spreadsheet (my Snow Goose Girlies aren't the only ones who have Fun With Spreadsheets), had a little moment, took a little moment, and let the list go. Okay, I'm lying. I didn't let the list go. I revised the list. I made it more, ahem, realistic. I decided that I probably wouldn't be able to knit two afghans that would need to be shipped to other coasts in time for Christmas. So this seemed the logical time to knit something for myself:


This skein of Rowan Kidsilk Haze practically begged to live at my house. It didn't feel it was getting the attention it deserved at the yarn shop. It felt it would only get the proper reverence at my house. I agreed.

4. Last week I dripped jelly on my keyboard at work. I am 30 years old and my keyboard is sticky with jelly. When I try to use the right arrow key, bad sticky jelly things happen.

5. The girls (see link above to the Snow Goose Girlies) are coming over for dinner on Monday night. That's just so freakin' cool I can hardly stand it.

6. Today I got to reveal my identity to the lovely lady I've been spoiling through the Knitter's Review Secret Pal program. Gracie, it's been a pleasure to pick out little gifties for you, and I hope you've had half as much fun as I have. You should check out Gracie's blog as she made a gorgeous stocking for her husband.

7. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and although it has been a difficult year for me and many of those I love, I still know that I have much to be thankful for. I could focus on the negative but it wouldn't change anything and it wouldn't get me anything. This year, I choose happiness because I am immensely grateful for the life I live and the opportunities I have. I have my health, a wonderful boyfriend, a stable job with an organization I am proud to work for, a family that, while dysfunctional, still loves each other and still knows how to be there for each other for the important things, friends that have taught me what friendship means through their stellar examples and unconditional love, a hobby that has introduced me, literally to amazing, intelligent women and virtually to other amazing, intelligent women. I feel blessed.

8. I am humbled, every day, by the small kindnesses I see happening around me.

9. I believe that happiness is a choice, and often it must be learned. Do we teach our children how to be happy, or do we teach them that they are owed happiness? The difference, as I see it, is that the former acknowledges that we must attain happiness for ourselves while the latter implies that others are responsible for making us happy. Perhaps if we felt we were owed less and responsible for more we would be more thankful for and content with what we have now.

I wish you a peaceful and happy Thanksgiving. I think we've all earned it.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger um said…

    your post is very heart-warming! i hope you have a wonderfully happy thanksgiving! and i say keep the bag! you worked hard on it. gift yourself :)

     
  • At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what wonderful post. have a fantastic thanksgiving. just reading your entry made mine better. thanks!
    froggyknits.com

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger um said…

    hey girl, i will email you regarding your thanksgiving sos! check your inbox :)

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger um said…

    dude, nice background! it's really perty :)

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger mayflwr said…

    thank you for the much needed happiness-responsibility-kick-in-the-ass ;) It was perfect for me at this very moment (the coincidence of tonite's events and reading your post is quite crazy!)I hope thanksgiving went wonderfully for you and your family!

    p/s your knits rock!

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger knittygirl said…

    Elisa,
    Thanks for the inspiring post, it was very uplifting. Except for the part about your christmas knitting list...that just stressed me out, since I am in the same boat. Maybe if I used a spreadsheet??? Or maybe that would just make my procrastination plainer to me, to see it all so officially spelled out and organized...

     
  • At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i LOVE kid silk haze. i love how you can just keep knitting and knitting and knitting with it and it still doesn't even feel like you've made a dent in the skein. it's so delicate and girly. your scarf looks lovely!

    carolyn
    sobsister.typepad.com

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger melanie said…

    Well said about the responsibility for being happy! I think even those of us who already know that need to be reminded every now and then (*raises hand*). Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines