Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Home

It's good to be home. I got to my G'pa's nursing home in the early afternoon on Saturday and joined the vigil at his bedside with my aunt and my cousin. My mom came on Sunday, and I was glad, for my G'pa, that she came. Monday morning, at about 6:30am, my G'pa died. I'll tell you that as glad as I was that he wasn't suffering any longer, I wasn't ready for it. I thought it just sucked. I needed about another 20 years or so.

The thing I will always be grateful for is having been at his side with my aunt and my cousin when he died. We had the memorial service on Tuesday so I was able to be there for that as well. My G'pa's entire bowling team showed up for the service. A cuter group of little old men and women you've never seen.

It was a sad, exhausting, draining trip, but I am glad I was there. I would have regretted it forever otherwise.

I want to take a minute to thank you for the wonderful comments you left for me. It meant a lot to come home to all of your thoughtfulness and kindness.

There was a lot of hospital knitting done - I am almost finished with the I-cord for the second Booga bag, and I made a beautiful drop stitch scarf for my aunt using a skein of the gorgeous bluey purple yarn my SP III Secret Pal sent to me.

I'm so glad to be home.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:21 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Good morning Elisa. I am so glad that you were able to be there with your grandpa for those last few days. You are right, those days are precious. I am sorry that you lost him, he sounds like he was a fantastic man that lived a wonderful life. The most important thing was that he was surrounded with love before he left... I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts.

    Take care, sweetie. Glad you are home.

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Knittens said…

    Hi Elisa,
    I'm glad you are home. It sounds like it was a long week - you were in my thoughts throughout it (especially when Boston won the world series!). I'm also glad that you were able to stay for everything, even though they were sad circumstances, it is good that you were able to formulate some positive moments!

    Its good to have you back. We're all here for you and thinking of you!

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Blogger alice said…

    as we both lost our grandfathers this week, i thought it appropriate to send a card... however i couldnt find you anywhere in the RAOK database... any way you could email me your address? (brokedown_tiger(a)yahoo.com)

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger um said…

    elisa,

    i'm sorry about your grandpa. it undoubtedly meant a lot to him that you were there. i know it was a rough time for you. sounds like he was a very special man who will be missed bunches.

    i'm glad you're back safely.
    michelle

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger um said…

    dude, did you just get spam on your comments up there, or is sarah a real person?

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elisa

    My sympathies to you. Wishing you and your family well. Get some rest, do some knitting and give yourself plenty of time.

    -Carolyn
    sobsister.typepad.com

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger knittygirl said…

    Elisa,
    I'm so glad you're back home, and that you were able to be there at such an important time, with your family. Hope you have a peaceful weekend, with lots of time for knitting, which is such a healing activity.
    Kerry

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Amy Boogie said…

    Elisa
    My sympathies to you and your family. I remember when my gramp died and I know what you mean about being able to be there. Take care of yourself.
    :)Amy

     
  • At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sorry for your loss. I, too, have been lucky enough to say good-byes and my heart goes out to you. It's a rough and raw time despite having made the best of the situation. Pull on the comfort clothes, cuddle with the boyfriend, and feel the love everyone had for your G'Pa. As long as you're remembered, you're never really gone.

    -Secret Pal

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    I'm very sorry to hear about your grandpa. My grandfather was very sick, too, before he died. I drove out from Pgh to Philly to see him one weekend, and not 5 minutes after I arrived, he passed away. It was very sad, and while I was glad he wasn't suffering anymore, I did miss him. Your grandpa sounds like he was a great man.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines