Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

You Know You're Knit Obsessed When...

You see a sign that says:

Postdocs: Improve Your World

and you really, really think it says:

Ponchos: Improve Your World

That said, I am glad that it is Wednesday. Keiko and her husband Tim are coming to our house for dinner tomorrow night, and then Mike and I are going to a wedding on Saturday. It'll be great.

I've been feeling like a bitter person the last week or so, and although I think I've mentioned that work is not terrific right now, I think I've also mentioned that I'll be 30 very soon. Mike and I are going to stay here for my birthday: The Crazy Swede. Initially we were going to stay in Washington DC (because I have never been there), but circumstances have made it a better idea to go stay in Maryland instead. This is a good thing, people, I promise, but I don't want to talk too much about it right now. There is an LYS in Havre de Grace, MD, though - and with any luck I'll get to go there. :)

Okay, to the knitting and the bitterness and how they relate...

I work for a cancer hospital, and last week, Keiko forwarded me an email about a program called "Caps for Kids". Last year, my hospital donated over 1,000 knit and crocheted caps to local elementary schools, day care centers, and homeless shelters. My hospital is participating again this year, and Keiko, Nao and I are going to knit caps. Yesterday, Keiko and I went to pick out some of the donated yarn, and I got this:



Yep, that's right...I'll be knitting my first Noro into a hat for a lucky Boston kid! I'm really excited about it.

I also picked up these items:



This is a cap I'm knitting from some Spinnerin wool. It's a little scratchy, and I hope it doesn't end up TOO scratchy:



Oh, that's right - I was talking about my bitterness. Well, it's hard to be bitter for very long when you work at a cancer hospital. I needed the reminder that there are other, much worse, much more devastating things than what I am currently dealing with, and when it comes right down to it, I am lucky that I only have the issues I have. Things could always be worse. I see parents who are my age with kids that have cancer, and I am always in awe of their (both the parents and the children's) strength and courage. I might have a bad day, but it doesn't begin to compare. I'm lucky. I'm very, very lucky. So, enough of the bitterness for me. I'll knit my caps, and be glad that I am able to do it.

Because my G'pa is such a role model for me, and because I'm thinking about how lucky we really are to have each and every day, I just wanted to leave you with a picture of us, taken in Columbia, Ca., at the City Hotel Restaurant. This is one of my all-time favorite restaurants (check out their wine list), and my G'pa is one of my favorite people.



Thanks for all of your terrific comments (I've responded in the comments section)and I hope you have a great week!


7 Comments:

  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger Nancy said…

    So, you're boyfriend hears things that aren't said and you read things that aren't printed. It's a good thing you two balance each other out. {grins}

    By the way, I have a friend who had to have a bone marrow transplant many years ago due to Leukemia. Well, the transplant got rid of the cancer, but his body is constantly trying to reject the bone marrow. Whenever I think my life is bad, I realize how much worse it could be. (Although, if I ever have to go through anything similar, I hope that I can be as upbeat as my friend is!).

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger Amie said…

    Havre de Grace is a BEAUTIFUL area - I used to work at the radio station in town there... How long will you be there? Will you have a chance to go into Baltimore (where I live) or DC?

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Thank you so much for the kind words on my blog. I do have a very supportive dh, and that makes all the difference in the world. Just taking things one day at a time :)

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Hey Elisa! It is great to hear that you might be in my neck of the woods (sort of!) Havre de Grace is north, but not too far from B'more.

    What a wonderful picture of you and your grandfather! How sweet!

    The yarn you picked up is so pretty~Noro is great! I have not knit with it, but I have seen it :)

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Knittens said…

    Hi Elisa!

    It is so exciting that you will be coming down to MD! I met a lot of MD knitters this weekend - there are a lot of fun people in this state! I have no idea where wherever you are going is, but I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! If you start yarn shop hopping, make sure you let us know, there are pleanty of your regular readers who I am sure would meet up with you at stores!

    Your yarn does look beautiful. I also get nervous about the scratchy, but even if it is, I usually suck it up anyway!

    I hope you had a great weekend!

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Hope everything is going okay, Elisa! I was thinking about you and just wanted to send you a hello note! Cannot wait to hear how you are doing! :)

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger wrtrmaus said…

    I took a day trip to Havre de Grace for my birthday this year, how odd. Of course, I turned something slightly older than 30 and went by myself and was only there a few hours. I did go to the yarn shop while I was there. The ladies were helpful and friendly and they seemed to have a decent selection. Don't forget to check out their sale room, I got fun huge yarn there.

    Have fun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines