Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Saturday, September 11, 2004

The Really, Really, Really Bad Sweater

First of all, I should tell you that in fact I did not have cake for dinner on Thursday night. I had a bagel for dinner. And then I thought about the fact that I had not yet had dessert (presuming that dessert comes after dinner), so I had another piece of cake. Then I tossed the rest of the cake because my relationship with it was getting a little too intense.

That said - let me tell you about the Really, Really, Really Bad Sweater...

I knew I had done the BO of the front of the sweater wrong, especially considering that the back of the sweater was a good 1 1/2" longer than the front (wrong, wrong, wrong). So, I thought that I would redo the BO of the front and frog back a bit of the back. Easy enough? Except you remember that I really didn't want to work on the sweater. Then I realized that between leaving for work Thursday morning, and getting ready to work on the Bad Sweater Thursday night, I had lost my 90" measuring tape. How? you ask? Who knows. But I did. So, Thursday night, in the heat, I worked on the crazy wedding afghan.

Yesterday I bought myself a new tape measure, and last night I proceeded with the Bad Sweater Frog and Redo Plan (fortified with a skein of Plymouth Yarn Sockatta, and a set of US2 dpns from my LYS - The Snow Goose in East Milton, Ma.). I frogged back some of the back, frogged back some of the front, and started to redo the BO of the front. Ended up with the wrong number of stitches, a seriously wonky looking BO (again), and then *finally* realized what I was doing wrong. Which, of course, involved an additional 4 rows, and thus meant that the front of the sweater was going to end up being the same length as the original length of the back of the sweater. Are you laughing yet? I hope you are. It was at that point last night that I decided I should stop, and just look for sock patterns online.

This is what was on my dining room table this morning:



You know about my linen closet right? My fanatically, ruthlessly organized linen closet? I've mentioned (haven't I?) that I hang all of my clothes organized by type of garment, weight, and then color? That my purses are organized similarly (with a little extra category for "fancy" and "vintage" thrown in)? You know then, how frustrated I must have been last night.

Well, I began the Bad Sweater Frog and Redo Plan, v. 2, this morning, and halfway through, it looked like this:



Now it looks like this, and I feel a little less insane. I can now put the sweater down, and go back to the crazy wedding afghan.



hope you all have a terrific weekend!

8 Comments:

  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Christina said…

    You're not crazy, just think about how much you learned! It really does look good, though. OT- nice table, too. (- aka Christina P)

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    You know after a bad breakup, people say "Maybe it was for the best"... well, your lovely sweater will be even better when you are happy with it... and maybe it WAS for the best. :) Good luck on the afghan!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

     
  • At 4:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there secret pal-
    I think the sweater looks splendid.
    Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about you. In fact, so many items say "Send me to Elise, you know she'll love me" to which I often say "But but I want to bring you home, too!" The conversation goes on and on usually proving why I shouldn't be a lawyer or be put in a position of money management because I usually lose... So I'm gathering items together and being a evil little pal, possibly shopping about for your greatest vice (before/after yarn and closet organization?) which I'll obliquely refer to in hopes that you won't go running to the supermarket.
    Don't worry, I will definitely give you a head's up when I pop the package in the mail. Is there anything more agonizingly wonderful as knowing a package is in the mail? Perhaps when the UPS truck is in the next building over... yet it doesn't get to your location until 3 hours later... I can swear in quite a few different languages. Very creative.
    Hope you are having a lovely weekend. And oh, do say, where was your hometown See's? Did you have other hometown favorites? Have you ever tried Dark Pocky?

    -Secret Pal

     
  • At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I meant Elisa. Sorry! I seethe mildly when people get names close but still wrong. Now I'm simmering in "I'm a dorkus" guilt.

    "I'm a dorkus" Secret Pal
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dorkus&r=f

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Anonymous ugliness said…

    Elisa, I just started a new blog called Ugly Blog, so I've been looking around for ugliest related blogs. Anyway, I found this entry (this post) during my search so I thought I'd make a quick post to let you know! I'd be happy to trade links if you're interested. Have a great day - Eric

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Repair said…

    You have a great blog! I'm definitely going to bookmark. I found a site Late with a great article I think you'll like.

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Bad said…

    You have a super blog here! I will be saving it to my favorites for sure. I just visited a site credit with a great article about credit . If nothing else it's a great read.

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Late said…

    Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see this credit related article. It isnt anything special but you may find it interesting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines