Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Let the Crazy People Get on First

Or, Commuting in Boston.

See, if that really worked, I could wait patiently for all the nutty people to get on the bus in the morning before I did, and then I could choose a seat where I am least likely to experience unauthorized butt contact with someone who doesn't smell very nice (this happened on the Red Line and I was too much of a commuting newbie to move - I didn't want the smelly crazy guy to think that I thought he was a crazy smelly guy, so I just sat there all the way into Park Street), or in front of someone who doesn't smell very nice, looks like the famous picture of Rasputin and likes to imitate the sound of the bus's engine revving, or in front of the lady who sucks her teeth and slurps for no apparent reason, or next to the lady who hits me in the shoulder because the bus doesn't stop at her stop (like I have any control over the bus driver gods), and, well, you get the point.

But it doesn't work - because half the people I mentioned above were very normal looking people - probably going to fairly normal jobs. So, I choose to sit in front of the Slurper, and am taken completely by surprise when she starts sucking her teeth and leaning toward me as I start to imagine all kinds of horrible things going on in close proximity to the back of my head.

Technology doesn't help. I used to be able to see someone walking down the street, talking to themselves, waving their arms wildly, and assume some things. Now, I just assume they are talking on a hands-free cellphone (and what is hands free about having to hold the stupid microphone up to your mouth, or having to hunch over in order to have the person on the other end of the line be able to hear you even remotely, all while walking down a busy Boston street?).

Sigh - these are the reflections of a woman who has to go ride on two buses in about 5 minutes. I'm trying to figure it all out people, but I just have no idea who's crazy anymore.

Happy Hump Day - Tonight is SnB and I've been told I must bring the camera, as Nao has 1) new socks and 2) a new knitted bag that she designed. I can not wait.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Amie said…

    See, and when I'm driving down the road, singing show tunes to myself, or reciting plays from days-gone-by, I think "and no one will think I'm crazy, they'll just think I'm talking on the phone..."

    tee hee... It's all in the perspective...

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    I take the Bart to and from work. During normal commute hours, the ratio of nutty to normal isn't too bad. But I don't get off work until 10:30pm. I once had a drunk, smelly guy get extremely offended when I turned down his offer to get off at his stop and have a drink. Enjoy your bus rides! :-)

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger Elisa said…

    Amie - in light of your recent post on singing with your kitty, I thought your comment was hilarious! :)

    Nancy - I've taken BART a few times, though not during commuting hours, and it was definitely interesting... ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines