Concateknit

v. to knit or purl in a series...

Friday, August 27, 2004

The bad, bad sweater

So, my SnB was a lot of fun on Wednesday. We had two ladies come for the first time, which was great, and Keiko and Nao were also there. It was really fun. Really. I mean it. Well, except for maybe one thing. One tiny thing. My sweater hates me. No, seriously - it's playing with me. You see, I'm working on sleeve #1 right now, which is supposed to measure 18 1/2" at the point where you start shaping the cap. Okay, fine. So, when I got to my SnB, the sleeve was 18". No big deal. So, I knit a couple of rows and measured again. 18". Now, I know that isn't possible, but that's what it said, so I figured it must have been me mis-measuring the first time. So, I knit a couple more rows. 18". I'm thinking "Boy, I really am measuring tape challenged". So, I knit a couple more rows. 19". Do not pass go, do not collect $200. So, I rip back two rows. 19". I rip back two more rows. 19". I rip back 2 more rows - 18 1/2". You smart folks out there (of which I do not include myself) realize what that means. The stupid sleeve was 18 1/2" to begin with.

I accomplished nothing - oh, well, sure, I entertained my fellow SnBers. But, me? No, I was not entertained.

So, why don't I show you what Nao was able to accomplish last week. Yes - that's right, LAST WEEK.

Her 4th pair of socks - sorry, no pics of pair #3, but they were rad. She swears that this is the last pair.



And then there's the bag that she designed and knit for Keiko's sister Takako:



And then a shot of the inside, which she lined and is filling with dpns for Takako:



When I first started knitting, oh so long ago (in May), I thought that I would never tire of knitting scarves. Then about a month later I thought "Boy, I don't really want to knit another scarf for a while." So, I knit my Zeeby's bag, and I got bolder, and thought things like "I can do this cowl sweater" and "Nothing can stop me from doing this cowl sweater and it will be the best cowl sweater any friend of mine could ever ask for". Then I tried the cowl sweater and although I think I still love it, and I know I am committed to it, I know that if it were a man, it'd ride a Harley and be the kind of man my mother warned me about. Okay, maybe not my mother, but someone's mother...

Before I sign off, I just wanted to thank all the kind, funny, interesting (because I've read THEIR blogs, and they are FABULOUS) people who have stopped by to leave comments on my blog - I get so excited when I see that I have comments! I'd invite you all over to my house if you weren't so far away, I swear it!

Have a terrific weekend!

4 Comments:

  • At 5:50 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    I've had the exact same measuring tape problem you have! I don't know if it's because I'm stretching the fabric the first time but not the second time, or what. All I know is - I sympathize!!

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Your sweater story entertained me! I am sorry that it did not do the same for you... I just had this vision of the sweater unraveling every time you looked away so it just kept on measuring 18" no matter how much you worked on it! Your KnitKnite looks oh-so-cool! I would love to come visit yours when I am in Boston next time (I love Boston and am always looking for an excuse to go!)

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Elisa said…

    Maybe a support group is in order - "When Good Knitting Goes Bad"...

    I am glad to know that I'm not alone with my tape measure frustrations. I wasn't even trying to measure on a couch cushion! :)

    Lauren - the next time you're in Boston we'll definitely have to meet up!

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i didn't know that the knitting elves had struck that quickly. did you set it down for a moment? maybe they snuck in while you were taking a sip of something, or talked to someone. it's a thought, lol!
    Minnie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home






Subscribe with Bloglines